5 Feb 2008 - Salty Goodness



Gidday y'all,

It´s the day before the main day of carnival here which I´m told means two things, 1. many dancing girls not wearing many clothes, and 2. more bandits than usual (because 1. they´re more drunk than usual, and 2. they target businesses and houses whose occupants are out or out of town).

On the island this means the generator runs all night to have lights on and show the banditos we´re around and to pick on someone else. For me this means one or two hours sleep last night because the casa nova is close (50m) to one of the generators and no one had told me it would run all night. Tonight and tomorrow I´ll probably return to the old school to sleep.

Before lunch I worked on boxing out the foundations of the new school today for concrete hopefully Friday this week. It was my first exposure to working out in the equatorial sun for an extended period and considering the lack of sleep and the trademark jungle humidity I didn´t mind it too much. I sweated ten gallons (half of it into my eyes), but I drank enough and ate some salty crackers for some salty goodness and I think I´m going to live.

A massive thunderbolt went off nearby earlier, but there was barely any rain with it. This place is electric in more ways than one.